Rörstrand started in 1726, when a factory was built at the castle in Rörstrand, their production was wholly was faience. In the 1770s they began production of English flintware but it is not perfected
until they acquire rival Marieberg in 1785. It was not until establishment of Gustavsberg in 1825 that Rorstrand pay any attention to technology and modernisation due to the growing demand for printed earthenware. Rorstrand become one of the country’s largest industries having 1,100 employees by 1900 with an international reputation and a number of international prizes and awards. The factory in Rostrand Castle was demolished in 1926 with production moved initially to Gothenburg, having acquired the Gothenburg Porcelain factory, and then to Lidköping in the 1930’s.
Between 1960-1990, Rörstrand passed through several owners, including Uppsala-Ekeby, Finnish Wärtsilä, Hakusan and Gustavsberg porcelain factory. As of 2009, Rörstrand is a part of Iittala, which, because of losses, moved production to Sri Lanka and Hungary. On 30 December 2005 the factory in Lidköping closed, and thus ended a nearly 280-year-old Swedish industrial history.