The factory begins its life as a brickworks in the mid-1600s but it is not until almost two hundred years later in the 1820’s that the factory commences the production of porcelain. The business starts because the owner at the time sees an opportunity to compete with the only existing Swedish porcelain factory Rorstrand. The early years of production at Gustavsberg are all based on German products these are joined later by English products. It is not until 1839/40 that production improves significantly in terms of both the quality and consistency. This is largely due to the importation of English clay and know how in the form of experienced English workmen. However, this is not without its problems as there are many occasions where the Englishmen fail to turn up for work due to drunkenness, when the Englishmen’s contracts end they are not renewed. Gustavsberg introduce a number of ranges and try different products but it is not until the 1930s/40s with the arrival of William Kage and then Stig Linberg that the reputation of Gustavsberg rose significantly. In 1987 Gustavsberg was sold the factory to the Finnish company Wärtsilä who in 1994 moved the production of porcelain to Finland. There is still production of ceramics at Gustavsberg, with a number of companies occupying parts of the site.
Showing all 4 results