The factory was established in 1825 and located at Fensmark to exploit the peat of the local Holmegaard Moors pear as a fuel. Initial production was focussed on the production of bottles for beer and schnapps. In order to expand the range of products blowers were brought to Holmegaard from Germany and Bohemia in 1835 with the aim of expanding their range to include domestic items, by the late 19th century they had achieved their aim. In 1847 Holmegaard established the Kastrup factory to supply bottles to the nearby Copenhagen market, the factory was sold by Holmegaard in 1873. The two factories remained separate operating in competition until 1965 when they merged into a single company. The production of the Kastrup factory is largely unmarked generally being just labelled whereas art glass, usually free blown, produced at Holmegaard is generally marked with the designers mark and either a date of production or a catalogue, the style of marking depending on the period of production. Holmegaard is still in production although it has been through several mergers and is now part of the Royal Scandinavia group.
Showing all 14 results