Soholm Pottery was the earliest ceramic factory on the Danish Island of Bornholm. The factory was founded by Herman Sonne Wolffsen and Edvard Christian Sonne in 1835, but from 1841 Wolffsen took over alone. From initially producing utilitarian pottery (pots, bowls and dishes) in fajance and yellowware. Over time production moved to decorative work. The 1950s, 60s and 70s saw the introduction of new ranges of houseware , some decorated by the young Noomi Backhausen), as well as wall plaques, figures and lighting. Artists included Johannes Hedegaard, Henning Seidelin, Orla Muff, Einar Johansen, Maria Philippi, Noomi Backhausen, Arne Ranslet (1931-) and Haiko Nitzsche . During the 1980’s, new ranges were created by Christel and Christer Holmgren (Baltic, Viva, Multi and Circo) and in the 1990’s the Åbo range by Per Rehfeldt which met with much success.
Today Søholm stoneware design is a big collector’s item for retro devotees. No marks were used at the beginning. From 1910 feet were marked with a crown and a ship, however, most items were only marked ‘Soholm’. A few items were marked ‘H. Wolffsen & Son’ (from about 1903 to 1915).
The Soholm factory closed in 1996.
Showing all 19 results